Iron Cookware Recipes – Pie Iron Cooking
Cooking In a Pie Iron
Pie Iron Cooking is something that almost every camper has used or has seen being used at almost every campground we arrive at. It’s fun to use for all ages & can be used to make a wide variety of meals that anyone will enjoy. With so many recipes to choose from we are going to give you a link to some of the great recipes we have discovered along our trails of camping enjoyment at pie iron cooking.
A Pie iron is constructed of cast iron – stamped steel or aluminum that can hold up very well in high heat of a campfire. You can make tasty breakfast egg & cheese biscuit or French toast in your pie irons. This is a great way to make a small chicken pot pie or a small apple pie. If you haven’t discovered pie iron cooking; you have to give this a try on your next camping or hiking adventure. Another recipe that is fun for your whole family & enjoyed around our campfire is this Pie Iron Taco recipe.
Pie Iron Tacos
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 (1 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 12 (5 inch) corn tortillas
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 (8 ounce) jar salsa
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream (optional)
- Cook the ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring to crumble, until browned. Pour off excess fat, and mix in the taco seasoning according to package directions.
- Spray the inside of a pie iron with cooking spray, and place a corn tortilla on one side. Place a scoop of ground beef on top of the tortilla, sprinkle with Monterey Jack cheese, and chopped onion. Finally, place another tortilla on top, and close the pie iron.
- Cook the taco over the moderate coals of a campfire until the tortillas have crisped and browned, and the taco is hot in the center. Serve with lettuce, tomato, salsa, and sour cream. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
Posted in Iron Cookware Recipes