We found this great, minimalist video that easily demonstrates some of the things we love about cooking with cast iron. The man in the video simply cooks eggs two ways: fried and scrambled. But in doing that, he demonstrates a few things:
- Even heating: Scrambled eggs like to go into a pre-heated pan, and the thoroughly even distribution of heat in the cast iron skillet is almost ideal for this recipe.
- Non-Stick Qualities: The fried eggs, which could otherwise be a little difficult to handle, easily slides into any position in the pan that we would want.
- Easy Cleanup: Cleaning these pans takes little more than a paper towel to wipe up the food particles and excess grease. Easy as pie!
For those of you following along, here are the two recipes he makes in the video.
Single Fried Egg
- Using a cast iron griddle, pre-heat over medium heat.
- Grease the griddle using about 1.5 tsp of bacon grease. Spread to coat the entire griddle.
- Add salt and pepper to the greased griddle.
- Allow the pan to warm up until you observe a little smoke coming off.
- Add a single egg.
- Wait until the underside of the egg has set (about 30-40 seconds). Using a thin spatula, flip the egg.
- Let the egg cook for another 30-40 seconds and turn off your heat.
- Using a cast iron pan, pre-heat over medium heat.
- Grease the skillet using 1 tsp of bacon grease. Spread to coat the pan.
- Add salt and pepper to the pan to taste.
- When the pan begins to smoke, add six, fork-beaten eggs.
- Stir the eggs until solid. When most of the liquid has cooked off, turn off heat.
- Remove eggs when solid.
Eggs are sticky, of course. So if any particles get stuck on your pan or griddle, there’s an easy and even green fix. Just put a little salt in your paper towel and use it to scrub off the excess. If you’re concerned that the paper towels don’t sop up all of the grease, don’t be. A little bit of grease will contribute to that enamel that we love so much.
Have you used your cast iron for eggs? What are your favorite breakfast recipes? Let us know in the comments section below!