If you are like us, you have never met a pancake that you didn’t like. We have been feasting on variations of pancakes our whole lives, and they were all great. But, once we tasted this fluffy apple pancake cooked with a cast iron skillet, we began to view pancakes in a whole new light. Quite literally a cake in a pan, this delectable apple delight is a cozy campfire breakfast for two.
- 10″ Cast Iron Skillet
- 8″ Cast Iron Skillet
- Apple Peeler
- 2x Mixing Bowl
- Paring Knife
- Large Mixing Spoon
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 3 eggs (or equivalent egg substitute product)
- 3/4 cup milk or soy milk
- 3/4 cup white or wheat flour
- 1/2 cup cubed butter or margarine
- 3 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. cloves
- 3 apples
- Melt 2 tbsp. butter in a 10″ cast iron skillet.
- Preheat cast iron skillet with butter to 425°F.
- In a bowl, mix 1/4 cup of butter, eggs, milk, and flour until the mixture is smooth.
- Pour batter into the cast iron skillet with the melted butter and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown, fluffy and risen.
- Peel and slice apples into small slivers.
- In a second bowl, mix 1/2 cup of cubed butter, brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, cloves and sliced apples.
- Heat the apple topping ingredients in a second, smaller cast iron skillet until the apples are soft.
- Pour the apple topping over the pancake and serve.
You will know that your cast iron skillet is perfectly preheated and ready to work its magic on the batter when a drop of water on the surface sizzles and evaporates immediately.
Warm Your Hearts & Bellies!
Whether you are cooking in the great outdoors or in the comforts of home, these decadent, cast iron cooked apple pancakes are guaranteed warm hearts and bellies. Preparing them is simple and the results will become a family favorite.